Following the announcement that Thales has signed a multi-million pound contract with DataGate in Thailand to supply the Royal Thai Army with the STARStreak air defence missile system on September 16, Thales will be exhibiting the STARStreak air defence missile system at the Defence and Security 2015, held at the IMPACT Exhibition Centre in Bangkok, Thailand, from November 2-5.
This contract follows on from Thailand’s initial purchase of STARStreak in 2012.
The system comprises STARStreak missiles, the world’s fastest very short range air defence (VSHORAD) missile and Lightweight Multiple Launcher (LML). The LML tripod-based system allows swift deployment of STARStreak missile to deal with attacks from low-level fighter aircraft, Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAVs) and attack helicopters. The system plays a key part in the air defence forces continued commitment to protecting the Kingdom of Thailand.
Marie-Laure Bourgeois, Vice President of Thales in the South and Southeast Asia region, said: “STARStreak is the leading VSHORAD system in the world today, enabling nations to protect key assets against both emerging and established threats. We are honored to continue to serve the Royal Thai Army as a key supplier for Thailand’s advanced air defence capability.”
FEATURES & BENEFITS OF STARSTREAK HIGH VELOCITY MISSILE (HVM)
• Proven capability against air targets
• Immediate launch capability – no seeker cool down or lock-on required
• High precision laser beam riding guidance which is immune to all knowncountermeasures
• Low signature rocket motor with short burn time
• Low laser beam energy levels ensuring no warning to target
• Automatic cut down capability for missile in flight (to avoid fratricide)
• Zero maintenance missile – no in service support
• Precision strike/low collateral damage
• Insensitive Munitions (IM) compliance
• Lightweight 14kg missile
• Mach 3+ velocity
• Operational range in excess of 7000m
• High performance tungsten warhead
• Qualified for operation in severe climate/EM/NBC conditions
1. A multi-million pound contract with Royal Thai Army.
2. Thales to supply STARStreak missiles and Lightweight Multiple Launchers.